[tlug] NEWBIE: My Way and NOT Their Way?

I got the urge to retry my hand at straight Debian Etch and see whether I could do things with it that I hadn't been satisfied with in Kubuntu. One of the main reasons for dumping Debian in the first place was total dissatisfaction with Iceweasel and Icedove; both of which are too many generations behind and don't allow me to install a number of updates and add-ons that have become conventions for me in other OSes.

I want to remove them completely and install the most up-to-date Firefox and Thunderbird versions, set up my way instead of the way the Debian developers did because I think my installations are more secure, search more efficiently, and provide more on-screen real estate. Before anyone suggests Konqueror, I do not like it, nor am I comfortable with desktop and internet integration in one package. I don't like the idea that a program that knows what's on my HDD should be out on the Internet talking to complete strangers. (Whether that seems reasonable to /YOU/ is irrelevant -- I am the money pushing these particular buttons and collecting the banana pellets -- you can push your own buttons your own way).

I've tried uninstalling with apt-get and adept using the "completely remove" and "purge" functions. I then did an apt-get install and got both Iceweasel and Icedove back. So I removed them again and downloaded the tar.gz versions of Firefox and Thunderbird, created .deb files according to the Debian Reference and APT How-to docs and installed them ... and seem to have Iceweasel and Icedove yet again.

Is it more likely that I am not installing correctly or that I have to look for some other dependent packages that must be removed to allow Mozilla products to run uninhibited and uncorrupted? Is there any one place I should search? BTW, although I manually searched and removed Iceweasel / Icedove folders, I did not remove any files or folders named "mozilla" or "mozilla-thunderbird" when I removed the Debian versions. I am wondering if I should have axed them, as well.

Or, am I pissing in the wind? I'd HATE to be stuck with these turkeys.

--
CL