Re: [tlug] Bashing away at Unix

On 3/14/08, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:

> OK, you've finally convinced me to switch. Which means, of course,
>  that you'll been the primary target for my "how to I do the following
>  thing that I can do in bash in zsh?" questions.

Sure, but I'm not up on every bashism, so please explain what
you mean when necessary.

>  Firstly, how do I make ^H-Backspace delete a word like it does in
>  bash? e.g. I like the fact that when I have a long and hairy path like
>  /usr/local/games/FooBar/data/saved/, I can hit ^H-Backspace and it
>  sheds one piece of the path, becoming /usr/local/games/FooBar/data/.

Try backward-kill-word, which is bound by default to C-w, ESC-C-h and
ESC-C-? in emacs line editing mode.

Reason #24 to like zsh:
There isn't much regarding the command line editing that is hardcoded.
In particular, you can redefine any key to do pretty much exactly what
you want.  You can define what function keys do, you can make the meta
key work like a real emacs-style meta key and best of all, you can
make the function keys work like macros and insert certain sequences
of text into the command line including the LF character to terminate data
entry.

-sb