[tlug] Bashing away at Unix

(Um, this is not Linux, but FreeBSD, on my pair.com webserver.)

Well, I am trying. Yesterday I learned to make a bash script to do something useful (about 25 years after I should have), but I only seem to be able to run myscript by typing:

./myscript

Even though the permissions are set to 700. But I see that . is not in the current value of $PATH, but I also see that in a file .profile in my home directory it sets PATH to _include_ . - so where did . go to, or how should I put it back?

There's also something in .profile called umask, which I have just changed to 077, believing that this will cause newly created files to have only owner access. Logged out and in again, but touch still generates a file with 644 permissions.

Have I guessed wrong what .profile does?

Thanks for help...
Brian Chandler