Re: [tlug] [OT] US Civil War

jep200404 wrote:
Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:

How is the Civil War taught in Southern schools?

The what? Perhaps you mean "The War of Northern Aggression[0]"?

... or the War of the Southern Secession ...

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naming_the_American_Civil_War#War_of_Northern_Aggression

One of the things that doesn't get mentioned much any longer is The Jubilee (aka "Sherman's March to the Sea") and even Wiki seems to ignore or not know of it except for the song that eventuated after the surrender:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marching_Through_Georgia

I knew of it from a the time I was a small child because of a chest of old uniforms and medals in my grandmother's attic. One of my ancestors was an officer in one of the New England regiments that was part of Sherman's Army and a member of the Grand Army of the Republic afterward. Pile upon pile of paper in which "Bring the Jubilee" figured prominently in the speech of some Fourth of July address or political handout. Frankly, most of the people who would say something like that today are the kind of people who we'd prefer to remove from television ministries or political office, and with good cause.

But the impact of what they had done didn't really hit home until, as a military aviation trainee, we were able to fly the route of the Jubilee as part of our NOE ("nap of the earth" = low level, high speed) flight training, picking it up in eastern Georgia and following it through the center of the Confederacy. From the air there is still a one-mile wide swath across the landscape where the trees are only about half as tall and where the same crops cannot grow. Train lines seem to be on a different grade and roads detour around it to cross the rivers at some other point. Where you can see the ground, it is a different color and, even now, there are almost no buildings standing on the route. When you stop to realize that they wrought this much destruction with nothing more than shovels, hoes, pickaxes, horse-drawn plows and breaker carts (to rip up train lines) the enormity of the effort and the determination of the Army is awesome.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee#In_the_United_States

I have been involved in negotiations in Japan with some of the punch perm, tattoos and missing pinky crowd. I've had some of them get in my face and call me "Yankee" in an attempt to insult me. Being New England born, I just thank them i my best Bahston accent, which gets laughs from the native English speakers but which is just as bewildering to the name callers as their choice of epithet is to me.

[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rallying

... ummm .... this fits .... how? Buy me a few beers at a nomikai and I will regale you with stories of my one professional drive in the RAC Welsh Rally when I was employed by a Brit car mag.

--
CL