Re: [tlug] [OT] US Civil War

Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:

> How is the Civil War taught in Southern schools?

The what? Perhaps you mean "The War of Northern Aggression[0]"?

I'm a Yankee (Northerner[1]). I really don't have a good
feel for how things are down South. My brother went to a rally[3]
outside of Chattanooga a few years ago. The locals made him
feel uncomfortable. There are folks for whom the war ain't over.

A feller from East Asia recently visited Atlanta and went to
Stone Mountain and brought back postcards of the carving on
the side. He had _no_ clue what it was about. I tried to
explain the significance of the figures, but I'm afraid he still
doesn't appreciate the terror that ruled the South after
Reconstruction. Later I went to Wikipedia and found the
history of Stone Mountain[2] was even worse than I had feared.

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naming_the_American_Civil_War#War_of_Northern_Aggression
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee#In_the_United_States
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Mountain#Carving_and_Ku_Klux_Klan
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rallying