Re: [tlug] Japanese in Xandros

Scott Robbins wrote:
On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 11:23:25AM +0900, CL wrote:
Scott Robbins wrote:

Ok, my bad. My guess is that you're somewhat of a Linux beginner, and I
used mental shorthand. I was using a $ to indicate that you were typing
a command. A regular user (as opposed to root--you should probably try
to do things as non-root, but that's another thread) usually has a
prompt that ends with a $. I'm sorry I wasn't clear on that--no, you
shouldn't type in the $.

I think my first post ... (ahem) which you trashed ... DID use the word "newbie" at least once and possibly "complete newbie" one other time. If it helps, I am a certified COBOL, FORTRAN and JOVIAL programmer for the Burroughs 3500 series and still remember the drill for exchanging vacuum tubes on a running machine as well as what to do when a card sticks in the reader so that you don't have to power down the tape drive ...

As for the root vs user debate, yeah I know about that, ad infinitum and ad nauseam. But, for some odd reason I have never figured out how to store my Administrator password for reuse in any Debian install and I get sick of seeing the popup asking for it every time I want to try something new. And, I'm the only one using the box. Give me a few minutes and I'll come up with another excuse.

That's problem number 2. :) Problem one is the locale thing.

Thanks to Keith B. we fixed the locale thing.

Yes, make uninstall and reinstall them with apt-get. Actually, you
should just have to do apt-get install scim-anthy which should pull in
scim and anthy.

Yer gonna luv this ... did an apt-get install and Xandros can't find scim-anthy. At all. Anywhere. Try an apt-get install scim and Xandros installs v.1.0.2 (from some time in early 2004 -- the Real World latest stable is v1.4.7). Try apt-get install anthy and get anthy 6300 (latest stable is anthy 9100).

One possible problem (I never manually installed them with Debian, so
this might not be the case) is that even making uninstall might leave
some things behind. So, you might get something like, can't create blah
blah file exists. If that's the case, simply delete the existing files
one by one.

Before we do a realistic apt-get install of the latest versions, I think I need to reset or enter custom sources, right? I downloaded the packages I'd manually installed from Sourceforge, but those download pages link to download pages that offer four or five servers. I have looked for information on how to input targets and can find where to make the entry but not how to state the location.

Would RTFM if I could find an M to R ... but I just realized that I have a copy of The Linux Cookbook on my HDD ...

--
CL