Re: [tlug] Japanese in Xandros

On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 12:36:36PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Scott Robbins writes:
>
>  > > Creating backend ...
>  >
>  > This is not good.
>
> Well, for starters, SCIM's packager obviously sucks pondwater up a
> straw.  A decent script would indicate completion of the tasks.  It's
> not obvious whether the FrontEnd module loaded or if the hang was in
> the load.
>

> Does "scim -d" (I assume the "-d" is for "debug") support higher
> levels of debugging (multiple -d, or a numeric argument to -d)?

No, in this case, the -d is for daemon.

> [OT]
>
>  > installed from source.   (That's my prejudice speaking, it's not always
>  > the case, but my own experience indicates that ArchLinux, Slackware
>  > and their derivatives are the ones most likely to successfully compile
>  > from source.  I'm sure the Debian gurus would disagree.)  :)
>
> Depends on what you mean by "compile from source".  Just getting a
> build in /usr/local/src to install to /usr/local, I've never had
> trouble on Debian (that wasn't a generic problem with upstream).
>
> Debian source packages can be annoying because they often require a
> pile of Debian utilities and tricky command lines (for example, why
> dh-install doesn't automatically do a fakeroot if available is beyond
> me).

I don't mean a Debian source package.  I mean, for example, downloading
fluxbox's gz or bz2, untarring it and doing the usual ./configure &&
make && make install.

These days, as more and more distributions have packages for everything,
it becomes less important than it was previously.  (Especially with
Debian--I believe that it has more packages than any other
distribution.)

> The problems I have (and there have been quite a few) almost
> invariably start with dependency installation (even if it's deb-src)

My point was that Arch and Slack, for example, don't require a deb-src
(or src rpm for RH types).  This isn't something I've investigated that
deeply, especially since, in the last few years, both Deb and RH seem to
have packages for almost anything I want.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Willow: I'm a bloodsucking fiend! Look at my outfit!