Re: [tlug] Japanese in Xandros

On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 01:00:35PM +0900, CL wrote:
> Scott Robbins wrote:
> >On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 11:23:25AM +0900, CL wrote:
> >>Scott Robbins wrote:
>
> >shouldn't type in the $.
>
> I think my first post ... (ahem) which you trashed ... DID use the word
> "newbie" at least once and possibly "complete newbie" one other time. If it
> helps, I am a certified COBOL, FORTRAN and JOVIAL programmer for the Burroughs
> 3500 series and still remember the drill for exchanging vacuum tubes on a
> running machine as well as what to do when a card sticks in the reader so that
> you don't have to power down the tape drive ...

Right.  Well, you see I realized that with my ninja powers, so I was
more careless than I should have been.  :)

> Yer gonna luv this ... did an apt-get install and Xandros can't find
> scim-anthy.  At all.  Anywhere.  Try an apt-get install scim and Xandros
> installs v.1.0.2 (from some time in early 2004 -- the Real World latest stable
> is v1.4.7).  Try apt-get install anthy and get anthy 6300 (latest stable is
> anthy 9100).

Hrrm, ok, not good.

~I~ like Stephen's suggestion, use another flavor of Debian.
I'm honestly not sure what to suggest.  Almost all the distributions
that I've played with in the last 6 months had a package for scim-anthy
which would pull in scim and anthy.  None, of course, were as old as the
versions you mention--they might not have had the very latest versions,
but they were relatively up to date.

> pages that offer four or five servers.  I have looked for information on how to
> input targets and can find where to make the entry but not how to state the
> location.

Not knowing Xandros, I can't be sure, but is it possible that they have
additional sources (possibly listed on their web sites or forums) that
you can add to their /etc/apt/sources.list?

Last feeble hope would be that all three programs had a .deb package.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Oz: Looks dead, smells dead, yet it's moving around. That's
interesting.