Re: [tlug] Japanese in Xandros

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 11:23:25AM +0900, CL wrote:
> Scott Robbins wrote:
>
> >it is in Debian) you should be able to input Japanese with a scim-anthy
> >combination. I remember you saying you'd used EUC and I believe that is
> >how you typed it.  The first thing to do is see how your particular
> >distribution phrases it.  To do that
> >locale -a | grep ja_JP
>
> locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_COLLATE to default locale: No such file or directory

Hrm, that isn't good.  I believe there's a Debian package for that, ah
yes, it's on my Japanese in Linux page.

apt-get install locales
dpkg-reconfigure locales

>From there you get a long list, and you can pick out the ja_JP ones.
Of course, if you get locales already installed, it's something else,
with which I'm not familiar.

> BTW, I dropped "$" as I am in Administrator console and "~#" is preset.  I keep
> getting a response:
>
> bash: $:  command not found

Ok, my bad.  My guess is that you're somewhat of a Linux beginner, and I
used mental shorthand.  I was using a $ to indicate that you were typing
a command.  A regular user (as opposed to root--you should probably try
to do things as non-root, but that's another thread) usually has a
prompt that ends with a $.  I'm sorry I wasn't clear on that--no, you
shouldn't type in the $.

> Launching a SCIM daemon with Socket FrontEnd...
> Creating backend ...
> Starting SCIM as daemon ...
> Launching a SCIM process with x11...
> Creating backend ...
>
> and then, it stops, making me think this party is over until something can be
> fixed.

Yup, it shouldn't stop there.  It should end with something like scim
has been successfully launched.

> Nope.  So, I guess we've located Problem Number One.  Based upon some of your
> other comments, would the best first thing to do is issue "make uninstall"s for
> the four programs I installed manually and reinstall them using "apt-get"?

That's problem number 2.  :)  Problem one is the locale thing.

Yes, make uninstall and reinstall them with apt-get.  Actually, you
should just have to do apt-get install scim-anthy which should pull in
scim and anthy.

One possible problem (I never manually installed them with Debian, so
this might not be the case) is that even making uninstall might leave
some things behind. So, you might get something like, can't create blah
blah file exists.  If that's the case, simply delete the existing files
one by one.

> <Rest snipped until it is needed in a later message>

Yup, we've got a ways to go here.  :)

First, please try the apt-get install locales and dpk-reconfigure
locales.  (Unless Xandros has some builtin way to add language support,
which is quite possible.  It's a user friendly distribution--Ubuntu, for
example, has a thingie where you can add support for various languages
and you just check the box off and it does the rest.)

We want to see something like locale -a |grep ja_JP

ja_JP.utf8
ja_JP.eucjp

(Or something similar.)

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Buffy: Do---do you think I chose to be like this? Do you have any
idea how lonely it is, how dangerous? I would love to be upstairs
watching TV or gossiping about boys or... God, even studying! But
I have to save the world. Again.