Re: [tlug] Networking two Linux computers harder than Linux to Windows?

TLUG,

Okay, I've had a good night's sleep and spent the better part of the day working on other stuff. I'm clear headed and less grumpy.

Just to recap, I'm trying to connect my girlfriend's laptop (hereafter: "laptop") to my desktop computer (hereafter "my computer") via Samba. Once I can get a connection going, then I'll make an entry in the laptop's fstab file so that it will be there when she boots up.

Following what Arwyn said, I went with using IP addresses to find my computer from the laptop.

So here's my command (with names and passwords obfuscated):

sudo mount -t smbfs -o username=fileserver,password=[password],uid=`whoami`,fmask=000,dmask=000 //192.168.0.1/home/fileserver /home/`whoami`/Network

It said back to me:

Error connecting to 192.168.0.1 (Connection refused)
5097: Connection to 192.168.0.1 failed
SMB connection failed

I tried this other variant of the command:
sudo smbmount //192.168.0.1/home/fileserver /home/`whoami`/Network -o username=fileserver,password=[password]

Same error message.

What is not clear to me is where the refusal is happening. So far as I can tell, I've opened the permissions on all the relevant directories. I think I have the right names and passwords.

Is there some way of getting a more informative output than "connection refused", which will tell me at what level the refusal is happening?

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn