Re: [tlug] Networking two Linux computers harder than Linux to Windows?

Dave M G writes:

 > So here's my command (with names and passwords obfuscated):
 >
 > sudo mount -t smbfs -o
 > username=fileserver,password=[password],uid=`whoami`,fmask=000,dmask=000
 > //192.168.0.1/home/fileserver /home/`whoami`/Network
 >
 > It said back to me:
 >
 > Error connecting to 192.168.0.1 (Connection refused)

"Connection refused" is almost certainly a personal message to you
from Linus Torvalds.  The TCP stack is saying that it sent a SYN
packet (ie, "Knock-knock!"), and it got back an ICMP refused packet
("Go away, or I'll call the cops!").

This means that you didn't even get to offer your username and
password.

(To be pedantic, it's possible that message came from higher up the
protocol stack, but I think that's unlikely.)

 > 5097: Connection to 192.168.0.1 failed
 > SMB connection failed

Presumably this comes from the SMB file system.  If I'm right, it's
irrelevant.

Things to check:

  - is the smb server daemon running? (ps)
  - is it listening on the usual port, on the ethernet or wifi
    interface? (lsof)
  - is your firewall allowing packets to get through to that port?
    (iptables)

The utilities in parentheses are generic, always available, and will
work, but there are probably more convenient and graphical ones
available to you.  If you know what they are, use them instead. :-)