Re: [tlug] Gentoo initscripts - depend function

I need help understanding how depend() in Gentoo init scripts works in
more detail. Specifically where are virtual dependencies defined?

Usually - inside like this (metalog sample): depend() { use clock hostname provide logger }

However in case of net modules, it's really complicated. you might want to take a look at /lib/rcscripts/net/ if you are bash wizard, i am looking at them for a half hour now and i can't figure it out.

For example my sshd initscript has "need net" as a dependency and it
appears that in this case the service that meets this dependency is
net.eth0. What I would like to do is to meet this dependency  with
net.eth0 OR net.eth1.

both net.* will provide "net" service. however eth0 is default. If you add net.eth1 to your "boot" runlevel then eth1 will be used instead IMHO.

I don't think i have completely answered your question, but this is best i can do. sorry about that.