Re: [tlug] Gentoo initscripts - depend function

Romans Malinovskis wrote:
>> I need help understanding how depend() in Gentoo init scripts works in
>> more detail. Specifically where are virtual dependencies defined?
>
> Usually - inside like this (metalog sample):
> depend() {
>     use clock hostname
>     provide logger
> }

Hello thanks for the help. However, I was wondering where "virtual
dependencies" are setup. For example is there a config or some other
mechanism that says "logger", for example, is met by on of the following
services syslog-ng, syslog , metalog, or whatever....

Or in my case something that defines "net" as net.eth0, net.eth1,
net.eth0:1 ... That is where/how is net=net.eth0 defined?

# SNIP
> both net.* will provide "net" service. however eth0 is default. If you
> add net.eth1 to your "boot" runlevel then eth1 will be used instead IMHO.

Does this mean I could try :

depend() {
        need net.eth*
}

Also, if I add any net.xxx (other than net.lo) to the boot runlevel wont
that break single mode? As in under single mode networking will be enabled.

> I don't think i have completely answered your question, but this is best
> i can do. sorry about that.

No need to say sorry :-) You have given me some welcomed advice.

Regards, Keith