Re: [tlug] Xming - COOL!

Joe Larabell wrote:
>> Having used both. I would have to say that X tends to be faster except
>> for graphical applications like gimp.  My understanding of the VNC
>> protocol is that it just sends a compressed bitmap across the network
>> which will almost always be less efficient then a command to draw a
>> window.
>>

> Hmmm... I had the opposite experience. I work in Tokyo for a company in
> the Silicon Valley area and I have had occasion to want to use a GUI
> application on a machine over there (not a shell window -- for that I
> would obviously use ssh). Almost every time it was like watching grass
> grow. I could almost tell the sequence in which the various lines and
> rectangles were being drawn because they were showing up on my display one
> at a time.

Probably network latency, perhaps something like DXPC[1] or NX[2] might
have helped.  My experience was on a LAN with very low latency.

>> ... The big advantage of VNC is that because it just sends bitmaps
>> you can use it both ways, i.e windows <=> Linux, OSX <=> Linux, Zaurus
>> <=> desktop Linux
>>

> In theory, yes. Unfortunately, I was never able to get the vncserver to
> run on my SL-C3100. Of course, I can't give up the Sharp ROM, since I use
> the kanji handwriting recognition probably more than any other single
> function on the machine.

I only used vnc on the C700 with sharp rom but it worked fine there with
windows <=> zaurus and Linux Desktop <=> zaurus.

Edward

1. http://www.vigor.nu/dxpc/
2. http://freenx.berlios.de/