Re: [tlug] Fedora is a toy OS .. (was Re: New Custom Server for Linux...)

GMO Unix Erin D. Hughes writes:

 > I am a big fan of the price point the best processor costs 3 mann but
 > the second best is only 200 mhz slower and is almost a 1 mann lower in
 > price I take the cheaper one every time.

Er, if my mailserver were 200MHz slower, it would have negative
frequency.  And if one bit of its 80MB of RAM goes south, it's
trash---AFAIK that form factor hasn't been sold in the used shops
since 1999---so I wouldn't use it in a mission-critical role ("a day
without email is like an extra Sunday in the week" :-).

I really wouldn't use "toy" in this context, myself.  There are
applications where nothing but the bleeding edge will do.  And I think
every company with more than 1 admin should dedicate 20% of their time
to keeping up with the "testers'" version of some distro.  When TSHTF,
there's no substitute for having a mind or two elastic enough to
diagnose problems that just should not be happening in a production
server.

I suppose Jim might have meant it in the sense of "adult toy" (you
know, like a Corvette), but 誤解を招くべきではない, most people mean
"limited in functionality" when they say "toy".

Steve