Re: [tlug] Fedora is a toy OS .. (was Re: New Custom Server for Linux...)

> > Heh heh. Jim is a bit of a BOFH. :)

Ya but not entirely.... everyones entitled to their opinion.

> I dunno. I was also taken aback a bit by the 'toy' remark. Granted, there
> is an entire spectrum of risk models from 'super bleeding edge' to 'stable
> beyond reproach' and almost as many distros as there are users, it seems.
I definitely would not call it a 'toy' there is some serious work put in by people who know there stuff.

> It's a bit of a reach to call Fedora a 'toy' just because they choose to
> ride closer to the bleeding edge than most production-savvy sysadmins
> would prefer.
I have used it in my own productionish enviorment and had very few problems and was always able
to find a very helpful user base. But.....
> I'd like to see some impartial observer (maybe distrowatch) rank distros
> on the radical-to-conservative scale.

I have always shied away from the RH Enterprise server since my first
encounters with it were not so favorable........ But after a discussion
here about 2 months ago where Jim stated over and over that Cent was a
better alternative.... I checked it out and liked it so much that on my
new (to me) mail server I used it and have been having a great great
time with it....

> Not that I would make my decision
> based on that... but someone whose job depends on it may find the info
> somewhat useful.

But if your planning on using it with Xen, ya I would choose FC5
definitely I posted one question to the fedora-xen list and got over 25
answers and I would say 90% of them were really quality and well thought
out with allot of good information..... but pick your poison. I don't
think any of the distros out there are perfect but they are sure allot
of fun to play with ;)

/regards
Erin