Re: [tlug] Fedora is a toy OS .. (was Re: New Custom Server for Linux...)

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006, Josh Glover wrote:

> > On 19/08/06, Jim Breen <Jim.Breen@example.com> wrote:
>
> > I know all that - I'd not thought that "beta testing ground" and
> > "bleeding edge stuff" warranted being called "toy".
>
> Heh heh. Jim is a bit of a BOFH. :)

I dunno. I was also taken aback a bit by the 'toy' remark. Granted, there
is an entire spectrum of risk models from 'super bleeding edge' to 'stable
beyond reproach' and almost as many distros as there are users, it seems.

It's a bit of a reach to call Fedora a 'toy' just because they choose to
ride closer to the bleeding edge than most production-savvy sysadmins
would prefer.

I'd like to see some impartial observer (maybe distrowatch) rank distros
on the radical-to-conservative scale. Not that I would make my decision
based on that... but someone whose job depends on it may find the info
somewhat useful.

---
Joseph L (Joe) Larabell            Never fight with a dragon
http://larabell.org                     for thou art crunchy
                                  and goest well with cheese.