Re: [tlug] Do I have to rebuild my kernel again? [SOLVED]

On 02/08/06, Joe Larabell <fred62@???> wrote:

The trick is that you have to find out where the '.config' file from your
previous kernel has been stashed away. If you copy that file to .config in
your newly d/loaded kernel source tree, the new kernel uou build will look
pretty much like the original one and that allows you to move forward from
there instead of wasting time re-creating previously existing functionality.

Officially, you are supposed to run "make oldconfig" after copying the
.config over. This is supposed to remove cruft and just ask you
questions about newly introduced config options.

In practise, I rather suspect it does not matter unless you are
jumping a significant number of versions at once.

-Josh