Re: [tlug] Do I have to rebuild my kernel again?

On 01/08/06, Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:

The modules I need are:
[4314542.849000] ivtv0: Failed to load module cx25840
[4314542.870000] ivtv0: Failed to load module wm8775

My question is - can I enable the modules without rebuilding the whole
kernel over again?

Yes you can. And you can even do it without rebooting!

cd /usr/src/linux
sudo make menuconfig # or, if you prefer: make xconfig
# select the two modules and quit, writing a new .config
sudo make modules modules_install
sudo modprobe cx25840
sudo modprobe wm8775
sudo modprobe ivtv

If you cannot figure out which category the modules you want to enable
are in, try opening /usr/src/linux/.config in a text editor and
searching for the module names (case insensitive).

-Josh