Re: [tlug] Japanese input on Centos

Thanks for the help. Here are responses to some of the comments and
information people have provided so far:

------------
Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

> You need to run each application that uses kinput2 in the following
> environment:
>	LANG=ja_JP.eucJP XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2"

I followed what was in Scott's instructions and put the following in my
environment:
	export XMODIFIERS='@example.com=SCIM'
	export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
	export QT_IM_MODULE="scim"
	export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8

My LANG is
	LANG=en_US.UTF-8
I read somewhere that this should work. Anybody else know? I'll try changing it.

------------
Jim <jep200404@example.com> wrote:

> The easy way to install the Japanese IME is to select the Japanese
> language during the initial installation as one of the languages that
> the machine will use.
I don't remember if Japanese support was installed originally on the
workstation I'm using. I suppose not since I did add some things so that
I could read Japanese.

I'm trying to put it on my own workstation as a test. The final goal is
to install it on a remote machine for someone doing some translating.
That machine was apparently set up with Japanese support during the
original installation.

I had the impression that even if Japanese support was included in the
original installation, only display of Japanese text would work while
input support would still require additional setup.

> Are you just trying to get any Japanese IME to work, or are you
> trying to get a specific non-default IME to work?
Anything fairly basic - only OpenOffice will be used, and maybe
Evolution.

-----------------
David J Iannucci <jlinux@example.com> wrote:

> So you've read Scott Robbins' and Mike Fabian's pages?
Yes, I followed the instructions for RedHat

> Are you sure your environment/locale variables are set properly?
As far as I know. I'll try again today.

> If you can provide specifics about what you're trying and what
> the results are, maybe we can give more focused advice.
I'll make some notes when I try again.

--------------------
Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:

> ...you'll at least want fonts and locales.
I'll check that.

> Next, if you are using scim-anthy, have you disabled canna or is it
> still running?
I did that.

> Next, what terminal are you using.  Some of them don't support various
> input methods.
No terminal needed, just OpenOffice & Evolution.

> Do you have the recommended lines in your .bash_profile?
Copied right out of your instructions.

> Now, hit ctl+space.  In that little thingie on the right, is one
> of the choices anthy?
ctrl+space never did anything.

Thanks for all the info so far. I'll try again today with the new
information and report back how it goes.

I'll look into the diff info that Jim provided as well to make sure I'm
not missing something.