[tlug] Japanese input on Centos

Hello, I'm a fairly new subscriber and haven't made it out to any of the
events yet.

I have been trying to set up basic Japanese input on a CentOS4 machine.
I followed whatever instructions I could find, including the ones on the
TLUG website. I haven't had much success yet.

I got the scim/anthy combination up to the point that I had an icon in
the corner from which I could modify settings.

I got the canna/kinput combination up to the point that cannastat would
return a valid user connected to the canna server.

In both cases I could not get the kana conversion window to appear or
obviously write anything in Japanese.

Any other suggestions? Anyone know of any specific instructions for
CentOS4 or RedHat EL4?

- Jason