Re: [tlug] How to set window title encoding in GNOME et al.?

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:31:21 -0500
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:

> discussion, he posed the following question, which I am now passing
> along to this list, because I have no clue about GUI development in
> general and window manager / desktop environment stuff in specific.
>
> Quoth Bill:
>
> "You don't by any chance know how to set the encoding for window titles
> in Gnome, do you? Redet puts the program name, version, and locale
> into the title region of its top-level window. This doesn't work
> properly for some writing systems because I write UTF-8 into it, and
> it seems to want ISO-8859-1. The top-level window is controlled
> by the window manager, not by tcl/tk, so this has to be changed
> at a Gnome or window manager level, but I haven't figured out
> where that is set, and google has not provided an answer."

I assume you have a recent window manager that can handle multilingual
window titles (eg. sawfish).
Gtk sets the window titles when the window object is created. I'm not sure
how to do this properly from tcl/tk but there should be a way to set
window manager properties.
See:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-1.3.html