Re: [tlug] Re: Alan Cox's remark at Fosdem

    Lyle> It's financial my friend.

No, it's not.  You said you don't like them, and you gave a plausible
reason for it.  I don't see anything wrong with taking you at your
word.  :-)

    Lyle> I either use Linux (which I *do* like, in spite of not being
    Lyle> a programmer), or I don't use anything.  *If* I wanted to
    Lyle> buy a Mac I *couldn't*.

So "inherit" one.  University dumps around this time of year are often
good for dozens of 2-year-old boxes, though Macs are pretty rare.

The other option would be to upgrade your job.  I'm sure you're
working on that already, but if you're hanging out in the Windows
world and you do text/imaging stuff, or worse if you're on piece rate
working on your own box, you're going to be treated as manual labor,
poor and oppressed.  Mac shops tend to be richer, treat their people
as "artists", and I bet they pay better.  Sell yourself as an artist,
not as a Mac person (since you aren't, yet).  If you still don't like
Macs, you can always quit.<wink>

    Lyle> Man!  I wish I had a job like yours!  Money *and* time!  It
    Lyle> must be like heaven itself.

Not really.  It's actually morally painful to spend other people's
money this way; the Mac was a lucky accident.

But on the time side, yes, I do consider myself _very_ lucky.

    Lyle> PS Um... were you poking fun of my nickname "Hiroshi" by
    Lyle> writing it that way?

No.  I was taking liberties by using your nickname, but not poking fun
at it.