[tlug] Japanese input in openOffice 1.1

Has anyone here been able to run English OpenOffice 1.1 and get Japanese
input to work?  I have English and Japanese installed.  Japanese input
works great for Japanese OpenOffice, but when I start up the English
version (with all the same environmental variables) I get the IME and
can see the kanji until the point of input when they suddenly go from
Kanji to square blocks. (or am I asking a dumb fonts question?)
--
David Blomberg
AIS, APS, ASE, CCNA, LCP, LCA, Linux+, LPI I, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, RHCE, Server+