Re: [tlug] DNS servers down?

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 06:25:19PM +0900, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> >From: Jonathan Byrne <jq@example.com>
> >> [root@example.com]# telnet www.av-navi.co.jp 80
> >   ^^^^
> >
> >WHACK!  :-)
>
> I knew you'd pick up on that Jonathan :) I know it's bad. It's a dev
> machine I am using to learn PHP and behind a firewall with no global IP.
>
> I figure the worst that can happen is that as root I'll toast the machine.
> Which would just let have more experience at installing Linux ;)

Unfortunately, while that is the worst that is _likely_ to happen it
is certainly not the worst that _could_ happen.  The worst that could
happen is a malicious server somewhere exploits a buffer overflow in
a client you are using which opens a connection back to their server.
With said connection they can get to any machine on your network
using that box as the jump point for attack. This is a very unlikely
turn of events but it could happen.  Just be safe and don't do anything
as root that doesn't need the access. :)

--Matt