Re: [tlug] DNS servers down?

>From: Jonathan Byrne <jq@example.com>
> > [root@example.com]# telnet www.av-navi.co.jp 80
>    ^^^^
>
>WHACK!  :-)

I knew you'd pick up on that Jonathan :) I know it's bad. It's a dev machine
I am using to learn PHP and behind a firewall with no global IP.

I figure the worst that can happen is that as root I'll toast the machine.
Which would just let have more experience at installing Linux ;)

>In other words, you're saying that the problem is only for that
>one host?

Exactly.

>Let's look at what av-navi's (sounds like a pr0n site :-)
>authoritative name servers have to say:

It is a "retail" site. Helping out the owner who keeps wondering why is site
suddenly is innaccesible for no reason once in a while. His hosting service
isn't very friendly or competent it seems. But then again they are very
cheap.

>dig @example.com www.av-navi.co.jp

Which hat did you pull those numbers out of? (I know it's the white one but
...) are they gol's nameservers?

>OK, looks good.  Let's ask the other one:
>
>It would be useful to know more about your setup, though.  What
>name servers are you using when on ISDN?  When on DSL?

I use DHCP. How can I find out what the DHCP server is telling me to use?

>Are
>you actually changing your resolv.conf depending on how you're
>connected, or are you just pointing at the same name server(s) in
>all cases?

I just pull one LAN cable out and plug the other one in and then do
/etc/init.d/network restart

Jc