Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux

I recently trashed my RedHat box ( :-) ) and decided to try FreeBSD on the
rebound.

After making my boot/rescue floppies from images downloaded from
freebsd.org, I booted up and did the whole install onto a formatted HD via
FTP. It went very smoothly, and installed without problems on the first try.
Comparing that with my first RedHat experience, which took me 5 or 6
installs to get right, I was very happy. Granted, using RedHat for 2 years
probably gave me a better foundation than I originally had for the RH
install...

Also, as Yamagata-san mentioned, I am VERY happy with the ports system,
especially as compared to the RedHat rpm system. One of the most frustrating
things I had dealt with using RH was broken dependencies. To install package
A, you need B and C. Look for B, find you need D and E to install that. Look
for D and you need F and G, etc. etc. With FreeBSD, you just cd into the
directory of the port you want to install, type 'make' and it takes care of
everything for you, including grabbing other necessary packages by FTP and
automatically installing them. Bonus! :-)

One other difference I have noticed is that FreeBSD uses a different system
for NAT and Firewalling (as default) than RH did. I was using IPMasquerading
w/ RH, but went with natd and ipfw with my FBSD install and am happy with
the way that is working. I had been thinking of going with Debian as a RH
replacement, but am happy with FBSD so far. I'll save Debian for another
box.

Just my 2 yen,

Shawn