Re: tlug: Apache permission weird.

Hello,
    I have tried almost all I could do to fix 'permission denied'
problem when I use ~username for Apache1.3.9 bundled with
Turbolinux6.0 but in vain.
    I thought it very strange. The 'srm.conf' in the package given
has the following section.
-------------------------------------
DocumentRoot "/home/httpd/html"

# UserDir: The name of the directory which is appended onto a user's home
# directory if a ~user request is recieved.

UserDir /home/*/public_html
<Directory /home/*/public_html>
</Directory>
-------------------------------------
well I fixed this, double checked access.conf
and triple checked httpd.conf as well. I tried even to put
.htaccess in public_html. But nothing changed.

Then I downloaded Apache1.3.12 from www.apache.org
and did make from scratch.
The srm.conf  in this package has the following directives.
I noticed this by diff.
#
# Control access to UserDir directories.  The following is an example
# for a site where these directories are restricted to read-only.
#
#<Directory /home/*/public_html>
#    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
#    Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
#    <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
#        Order allow,deny
#        Allow from all
#    </Limit>
#    <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
#        Order deny,allow
#        Deny from all
#    </LimitExcept>
#</Directory>
This section cannot be found in the package given for Turbolinux
Server Edition 6.0. But when I took a look at the original Apache
pkg 1.3.9, I could find the section all right. Maybe some errors
or careless mistakes happened while they prepared rpm packages.
I took away those commnents and run httpd, and voila everything
is fine.
Now, everything runs fine. Thanks aplenty.
Yong-Ming

--
FROM THE OFFICE OF YONG-MING HUA(YMH CAL LABORATORY)
yhua@example.com, root@example.com

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD