Re: tlug: XIM/Kinput2 SNAFU

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com> writes:

>     Austin> some trouble.  I've gotten Canna built, and have kinput2
>     Austin> and kterm working (with the kinput2 protocol).  Now when
>     Austin> ever I try to use XIM, nothing workscomplaining of a input
>     Austin> server not running.
>
> Start Canna.
>
> Start kinput2 +kinput -xim -canna -debug 10 2>&1 | tee xim.log
>       # you did enable DEBUG, didn't you?

not yet, but now I did. Thanks for the hint.

> Open another kterm -xim.

    mike@example.com /usr/src/kterm-6.2.0$ kterm -xim
    Couldn't set locale: ja_JP.eucJP,ja_JP.ujis,ja_JP.EUC,japanese.euc,Japanese-EUC,ja,japan

What does this "Couldn't set locale" mean? I get a similar warning
when trying to start xim in XEmacs 21.2beta32:

    (1) (xim-xlib/warning) Can't set locale.
    Using C locale instead.

I couldn't get xim working in XEmacs either. And not in rxvt either.
Maybe these problems are related and have to do with the "Can't set
locale"?

> If no joy, and the debug output doesn't finger your prob,

Input in `kterm' works find when I use the kinput2 protocol, in that
case I also see the debugging output of kinput2. But with xim no debug
output at all is produced. Nothing happens when I press SHIFT-SPACE in
`kterm'.

> take two aspirin, and call me in the morning.  (Don't forget your
> XMODIFIERS, .Xdefaults, and xrdb -query output.)

XMODIFIERS is unset. The relevant part of my .Xdefaults looks like this

    ! Kinput2
    !!
    !!      Canna setup for version 2.x, 3.x
    !!
    *inputMethod: xim
    !*inputMethod: kinput2
    *Canna.Cannahost:  localhost
    !*Canna.Cannafile:      "canna-initialization-file"

    kterm*fontList: -*-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
    !kterm*fontList: -*-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-24-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
    kterm*loginShell:   true
    kterm*marginBell:   false
    kterm*scrollBar:    true
    kterm*background:   white
    kterm*foreground:   black
    kterm*borderColor:  black
    kterm*cursorColor:  red
    kterm*pointerColor: blue
    kterm*statusLine: false
    kterm*title:        kterm

Mike

--
Mike Fabian   <mike.fabian@example.com>   <mike@example.com>

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD