Re: [Lingo] Complex sentense

2012/11/29 Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com>:
>  > - As of today, you've spent US $22000 of your budget to complete work
>  > that you originally expected would cost US $24000.
>
> As usual, more context would be useful.

This is a question taken from Project Management Professional
Certificate in chapter "Cost Management".

You can see the original question here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vuhung/8230695798/in/photostream/lightbox/

>     You originally proposed a budget of US$24,000 for the project.  As
>     of today, you have spent US$22,000.

Thanks.

> as a simpler rephrasing of the factual content.  But it would be very
> unusual to actually write or say it this way.

Can you point out which part of the sentence is unusual?

> The translation into
> Japanese would vary dramatically depending on the speaker's
> relationship to "you",
"You", in this sentence, is the project manager who is managing the project.

> As of today = until to day
-> I know this.

> you've spent US $22000 of your budget to complete work
> that you originally expected would cost US $24000.

-> "that you (originally) expected *to* cost US $24000" is the correct
and simpler English?

I never seen "expected would" before...

--
Best Regards,
Nguyen Hung Vu [aka: NVH] (in Vietnamese: Nguyễn Vũ Hưng, グェン ヒュン ウー, 阮武興)

Disclaimer: When posted to social networking groups include, but not
limited to Linux Users' Groups, Free and Open Sources forums, mailing
lists, the above is my personal opinion and is *not* the opinion of my
employer(s), associations and/or groups I join.