Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Lingo] Re: [tlug] OT: yahoo.co.jp ending web mail: Thanks!
- Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 19:14:12 +0900
- From: CL <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: [Lingo] Re: [tlug] OT: yahoo.co.jp ending web mail: Thanks!
- References: <47D2CABD.email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <47D34C63.email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:188.8.131.52) Gecko/20080227 Thunderbird/184.108.40.206 Mnenhy/0.7.5.666
Stephen J. Turnbull wrote: > BTW, you might want to send this to Lingo instead in the first place. > Reply-To set. > > steven smith writes: > > > あたし would indicate a woman is speaking, right? > > Yes. 「あたし」 and 「あたい」 are definitely female. 「わたし」 is > sometimes suggestive, in contexts where a man would almost certainly > use「ぼく」 or 「おれ」. I also don't think I can recall hearing a > woman say 「わたくし」、「わたくしども」「われ」、 or 「われわれ」. > But that's just an observation. I assume that women are rarely > permitted to be in a status where such usage is appropriate. :-( I was originally trained in Japanese using the Harvard-Yenching texts (Defense Language Institute, 1943 edition) and my learning confirms to what you state above. Since I'm still having kana / kanji input reliability problems, we're doing this in romaji. I was taught to refer to myself as "watakushi" in public and to only use the other terms you have provided if I knew _everyone_ else in the room in which I was speaking. Women in my class were taught to read the same kanji as "atakushi" or "atashi." Men were taught the other familiar forms and the women were not. Of course, now that "samurai Japanese" is in vogue, my Taisho / early-Showa Japanese has acquired a certain "romance grey" cachet that is a benefit that is occurring almost too late in life. -- CL
- [Lingo] Re: [tlug] OT: yahoo.co.jp ending web mail: Thanks!
- From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: [Lingo] Re: [tlug] OT: yahoo.co.jp ending web mail: Thanks!
- Next by Date: [Lingo] Re: [tlug] Mystical tabbing events
- Previous by thread: [Lingo] Re: [tlug] OT: yahoo.co.jp ending web mail: Thanks!
- Next by thread: [Lingo] Re: [tlug] Mystical tabbing events
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links