RE: [Lingo] you have got to be kidding

> Behalf Of Pietro Zuco
> Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 10:23 AM
> I would like to translate this phrase into Japanese:
>
> "you have got to be kidding"
>
> I have some ideas:
>
> "Joudan desu ka?"
> "Hontou desu ka?"
> "Shinjirarenai"
>
> I think that phrases do not match the real meaning.
> Some ideas?

I've been on an Anime binge lately, and the characters seem
to like to use phrases like that.  Various forms using the
term joudan seem to be most common.  This just means that even
if it is not in common use now, it probably will be in six months. :P

I see though that Keith has at least partly beat me to the punch on
this one. :-)

I agree though, that "desu ka" doesn't seem right here.  ^^;;

>From what I have seen, except for the term "Honto desu ka," desu ka
doesn't get used much for phrases that are not truly questions.

I am not the most experienced though.  :)  I think I will learn a
Lot from this list.  (Don't worry guys, I am not on the digest
for this one.  Not yet at least.)