rhetorical form [was: Re: [Lingo] you have got to be kidding]

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 11:03:28AM +0900, Keith Bawden wrote:
> >I would like to translate this phrase into Japanese:
> >
> >"you have got to be kidding"
> >
> >I have some ideas:
> >
> >"Joudan desu ka?"
> >"Hontou desu ka?"
> >"Shinjirarenai"
> >
> >I think that phrases do not match the real meaning.
> >Some ideas?
>
> What about:
>
> joudan daro! (masculine)
> joudan desho (feminine)

so how would you better express a rhetorical form (which seems to be the
case of the original expression)?

「だ纔瘢韭絎竢蹙」/「でしょう」 seems a bit less "strong" than 「ようです」 (at
least that's what I get from my Japanese grammar book).
So my vote goes to 「ようです」, clues?

And what if we change the original a little into "Are you kidding?"
Would 「冗談だ纔瘢韭絎竢蹠\xC2 闥 「冗談ですね」 work?

--
mattia
:wq!