[Lingo] inTransitive

Well, since we are seeing some action (albeit mirrored) on this list I thought I
would shoot one question.

I have been meaning to pick up a book on this but does anyone know of a good
way/pattern to identify transitive and intransitive verbs?

Use cases:

1.
I have a transitive verb, can I guess the intransitive form or having an
intransitive verb can I guess the transitive form.

2.
I have a verb, can I tell if it's transitive or intransitive?
Is context necessary for this, or can I do with out it?

Currently I find I have some difficulty with this, and often wonder if there is
some way other than rote memorization to handle this. What strategies, if any, do you employ?

BAB