Re: [Lingo] [JP] Listening Practice

On 8/19/06, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
On 19/08/06, Lyle H Saxon <llletters@example.com> wrote:
> It's much easier now with MP3 players.  Recently I've gotten ahold of
> some Japanese audio books that I like.  One [is] Botchan, which is great -
> particularly after reading two separate English translations of the book
> (the one by the Japanese translator is vastly superior to the one by the
> western translator -

Would the one by the English translator be:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0870113674

and the one by the Japanese translator:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0804837031

I have read the former, and enjoyed it. I should give the latter a
try, if you liked it better.

Yeah - I think those must be the two - I read them 20 years ago though, and I'm pretty sure the covers were completely different then, so I don't recognize either of those cover images!

I may have been a little harsh of the western translator's version -
it's just that I felt like he had tried a little too successfully to
make a Japanese story into an American one!  The other translation
could be said to have slightly odd-style English in places, but it
conveys the Japanese feel of the story much better I thought.  But
again, those impressions are of 20 years ago!  But I very strongly
felt so at the time, so I'm assuming I would still agree with the
20-years-ago me.

Lyle