Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Lingo] [JP] Listening Practice
- Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 22:04:24 +0900
- From: "Lyle H Saxon" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: [Lingo] [JP] Listening Practice
- References: <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On 8/19/06, Josh Glover <email@example.com> wrote:On 19/08/06, Lyle H Saxon <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote: > It's much easier now with MP3 players. Recently I've gotten ahold of > some Japanese audio books that I like. One [is] Botchan, which is great - > particularly after reading two separate English translations of the book > (the one by the Japanese translator is vastly superior to the one by the > western translator -
Would the one by the English translator be: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0870113674
and the one by the Japanese translator: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0804837031
I have read the former, and enjoyed it. I should give the latter a try, if you liked it better.
Yeah - I think those must be the two - I read them 20 years ago though, and I'm pretty sure the covers were completely different then, so I don't recognize either of those cover images!
I may have been a little harsh of the western translator's version - it's just that I felt like he had tried a little too successfully to make a Japanese story into an American one! The other translation could be said to have slightly odd-style English in places, but it conveys the Japanese feel of the story much better I thought. But again, those impressions are of 20 years ago! But I very strongly felt so at the time, so I'm assuming I would still agree with the 20-years-ago me.
- [Lingo] [JP] Listening Practice
- From: Lyle H Saxon
- Re: [Lingo] [JP] Listening Practice
- From: Josh Glover
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [Lingo] [JP] Listening Practice
- Next by Date: [Lingo] Humor, culture and language [EN]
- Previous by thread: Re: [Lingo] [JP] Listening Practice
- Next by thread: [Lingo] Humor, culture and language [EN]
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links