Re: tlug: printer voodoo

On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 04:39:34PM +0900, John Seebach wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out a way to print (via ghostscript, because I don't
> think that these are postscript printers) to one of two printers, both of
> which are hooked up to windows machines at present. I can't find / don't
> know where to find a ghostscript filter for either of them.
>
> The printers are:
>
> Epson LP-9000
> Epson LP-8400

I don't know these printers, but I did get Ghostscript working on an old
Japan-market LP-2000 once.  If you can, get ahold of a manual for each of
them, and see what protocols they speak.  "ESC-P" was an Epson-specific
graphics language that I used on the LP-2000, for which there was a driver
in the then-current Japanese-local Ghostscript.  That was five or six
years ago.

If you find that you can use a common protocol, the next step is to see
how to switch the printer over to use it -- whether it recognizes the
nature of a data stream automagically, or needs some switch-over sequence
to kick it into the correct mode.  If you have to, you can splice that
sequence into your data stream before shipping it all out to the printer.

Cheers,
--
-x80
Frank G Bennett, Jr         @@