Re: tlug: japanese subjects, Pgnus, VM?

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com> writes:

> "Start me up!" -- M. Jagger

??? 何でしょう。

>     Mike> Is it possible to setup Pgnus and/or VM to display readable
>     Mike> Japanese even for such broken subjects?
>
> Probably not.  ... On second thought:
>
> (defun happy-birthday-mike! ()
>   "Convert a subject header from mojibake in a message edit buffer.

Thank you very much for this function. Works well.

> An alternative would be to actually edit the message and convert the
> headers to MIME format, but that would be much harder to do (there are
> restrictions on length of MIME encoded-words as well as total line
> length that have to be obeyed).

I did that manually a few times, and that is very cumbersome indeed.
面倒臭い。

Your function makes this much easier.

>     Mike> Does anybody know what sort of option that could be? When I
>     Mike> was at a friends place who uses `Mozilla 4.51 [ja] (Win98;
>     Mike> I)', I searched for such an option but couldn't find
>     Mike> anything like that.
>
> Use an external editor? ;-)

Probably that wouldn't  help. If the message is  send  via Netscape in
the end, it will probably have a broken subject.

> Or maybe metamail.

That could work. Probably one would need a sendmail too (e.g. cygwin
compiled). But I think this would probably be somewhat involved.

My friend has already difficulties using Netscape, and would certainly
consider  sendmail,   metamail and  Emacs  as  a sophisticated type of
torture.

> The Mozilla guys I've seen discuss I18N are pretty serious, so I
> suppose they do have an option.  But I have no idea where it is.

In  Netscape 4.51  such  an option  probably   doesn't exist.  I  have
searched quite carefully and couldn't find it.  There aren't that many
user options in Netscape anyway I've probably seen them all.

Mike

--
Mike Fabian   mike.fabian@example.com   mike.fabian@example.com
Termuehlenweg 2, D-40885 Ratingen-Lintorf, Telephone: +49(0)2102/893130