Re: tlug: rippers and encoders

On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 09:10:15AM +0000, Darren Cook wrote:
> >Yes, indeed. I use cdparanoia to rip and bladeenc to record; I think
> Can I be the one to ask the dumb question then...
> What is ripping?
> What is bladeencing? (and is pronouncing blade-enk, or blad-eeeenk?)

Ripping turns tracks from an audio CD into .WAV files without going
through the sound card; normal sound recording goes through the sound
card and so you get CD->soundcard digital-to-analogue conversion and then
soundcard->.WAV file analogue-to-digital conversion. Going through analogue
introduces hiss and unpleasantness, whereas ripping just pulls the data
directly off the CD as if it was a file.

Encoding compresses the WAV file into a much, much smaller MP3 file
which can be played back by dedicated MP3 players. bladeenc is just one
such encoding program. It's blade-enk, I think.

Warning: Making personal copies of music CDs into MP3 format may or may
not be legal depending on the part of the world you're in, so I'm not
publically endorsing this. Really.

Simon
--
Don't get suckered in by the comments -- they can be terribly misleading.
Debug only code.