Re: tlug: Re: pine/sendmail

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Eric Standlee wrote:

> I think you are right about sendmail, but honestly I don't know where to
> look since sendmail's config is sooooo daunting.

If this is in reference to spooling mail, look for this in sendmail.cf:

# default delivery mode
O DeliveryMode=background

In the DeliveryMode line, change background to deferred if you want it to
spool your mail.  Then do a kill -HUP on your sendmail process to make
it re-read sendmail.cf.

> I have noticed that sendmail isn't properly sending my local mail unless
> I issue a sendmail -v -q.  Otherwise it just sits in the mqueue...  Is
> there some thing that I should change for that?

How is your sendmail being started?  If you have a Red Hat system, look in
/etc/sysconfig/sendmail and see what the DAEMON and QUEUE lines specify.  The
default config in RH 6.0 is:

DAEMON=yes
QUEUE=1h

When sendmail is started, it will be like this:

sendmail -bd -q1h

The -bd switch tells it to run as a daemon, and the -q1h switch tells it to
run the queue once per hour.  If you'd like to run the queue every 15 minutes,
change /etc/sysconfig/sendmail like this:

QUEUE=15m

This will start sendmail (don't change DAEMON=yes) with:

sendmail -bd -q15m

Anytime you want to force a queue run, you can still do that, too.

HTH,

Jonathan Byrne                                 Engineering Division
Global Online Japan                            http://www.gol.com/
Tel:  +81 3-5334-1700   Fax: +81 3-5334-1701   Direct: +81 3-5334-1756

Next Technical Meeting: August 14 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Special guest: Marc Christensen (Salt Lake Linux Users Group)
Next Nomikai: September 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691