Re: tlug: PC Semi

I wish that:

Put proper line breaks in.  The sooner we get you up and running on Linux, the
better  :-)

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Jordi S.B. wrote:

> Well, it is not insulting, since I'm really not sure of it.
The machine don't have labels, and I can't open it.

Since it was running DOS (version 5.something)

OK, now we know what we're dealing with.  If it's an NEC old enough to be
running DOS, it definitely isn't something standard.  Well, not outside of
Japan.  It's a PC98-series NEC, which means it's running an NEC-specific
version of DOS.  Standard DOS won't run on an NEC 98, and vice versa for NEC
DOS (won't run on standard PCs).

This thing is probably no more than a 386 (even a 286??) since you don't
mention that it even has any version of Windows on it.  In short, even if it
were a standard PC, it's probably too old to bother with at all.

> I thought it was something standard, or sort of. Maybe that's the reason.
>I'll look for the port, even because, it could be for me the first
>oportunity to run Linux a on non Intel machine.

It is an Intel machine, it's just not a fully PC-compatible Intel machine, due
to hardware differences in NEC's version.  NEC has now abandoned that
architecture in favor of building standard PCs.

Unless you just really, really want to get Linux running on an incredibly old
NEC machine, it might not be worth pursuing this.

And I hope you and Dennis can both make it up here for a meeting one of these
days  :-)

Jonathan

Next Technical Meeting: July 10 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Topic: High Performance JAVA, by Matt Welsh
Next Nomikai: August 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691