tlug: problems compiling kinput2

    John> I'm trying to compile kinput2 with canna support

Brave, aren't you ;-)  But you have to be a lot braver to mess with
the original sources for Wnn.

    John> Not entirely sure if this is even a worthwhile exercise, but
    John> at the very least it's a learning experience.

It is _very_ useful to have a debug version of kinput2 around, because
XFree86's Xlib's support for XIM has historically been quite buggy.

    John> Unfortunately, it won't compile, and I can't figure out
    John> why. If anyone would be willing to take a look at the
    John> following files (makelog is the output from make, yappari):

    John> http://www.inh.co.jp/~jseebach/Kinput2.conf

I'd worry about these lines:

/*
 * If you have already installed Canna header files and libraries..
 */
XCOMM use installed headers/libraries
XCOMM CANNAINSTDIR = /usr
XCOMM CANNASRC = $(CANNAINSTDIR)/include
XCOMM CANNALIB = -lcanna16

You should probably consider removing the last three "XCOMM"s and making
the directories point to the right places.  The fact that you don't
seem to have compile errors due to missing Canna headers suggests I
may be wrong, though.

    John> http://www.inh.co.jp/~jseebach/makelog

gcc -o kinput2 -O2 -fno-strength-reduce      -L/usr/X11R6/lib kinput2.o ../lib/libKi2.a ../lib/imlib/libim.a    -lXaw -lXmu -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXext -lX11
../lib/libKi2.a(Canna.o): In function `InputEvent':
Canna.o(.text+0x131): undefined reference to `wcKanjiString'

My best guess is that these "wcKanji..." symbols are part of
libcanna16 (I seem to recall seeing them there).  That's why I think
you're having problems with the canna stuff itself.  And I don't see a
-lcanna... in that link line there.

However with glibc's less than 2.1, you do not have libc support for
wctombs stuff without libwctombs, a separate glibc add-on.  That's
another possibility.  Try doing `nm | fgrep wcKanjiString' on all the
.a's you have lying around and on your Canna libs.

    John> I'm also beginning to suspect that part of the problem here
    John> is the enormous gaping hole in my knowledge base where X,
    John> especially X resources, ought to be. I have yet to find any
    John> useful documentation in this area, although it's probably
    John> because I don't know where to look.  Any suggestions?

General X stuff, I strongly recommend the O'Reilly "X Window System
Programmers Guide" series (ok, Wiley?).

Unfortunately, programming Imakefiles is a black art.  Some of the
worst code I have ever seen is in the Imakefiles for various X
programs supporting Japanese functionality.  (I should remark that I
don't know all that much about Imakefiles; it's just that the ones for
Wnn in particular were so broken I had to fix them, in different ways
on different platforms.)  Working on Imakefiles, you're pretty much on
your own.  Preprocessor magic is just something you have to wrap
around your head until it soaks in and spontaneously combusts.

Next Nomikai: May 26 (Wed), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** Special guest: Eric S. Raymond
Next Technical Meeting: June 19 (Sat), 18:30  place: Temple Univ.
Topic: Linux SMP and the Intel SC450NX Quad Xeon Server platform