Re: tlug: Memory Snatchers

On Mon, 31 May 1999, Darren Cook wrote:

> I've a server running Apache with a custom module. Occassionally, for
> reasons I've not been able to track down, an http process will start to use
> lots of memory. If enough processes go like this the machine dies.

Don't bother with band-aid solutions -- your custom module has a severe
memory leak, and you should patch it up.

> PS. What I really want to know is what URL caused the process to snatch all
> that memory. But this is wishful thinking isn't it?

Investigate 'debauch' -- the poor man's 'purify'.

-- Chris (wileyc@example.com)

Next Nomikai: May 26 (Wed), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** Special guest: Eric S. Raymond
Next Technical Meeting: June 19 (Sat), 18:30  place: Temple Univ.
Topic: Linux SMP and the Intel SC450NX Quad Xeon Server platform