tlug: TurboLinux changes no. of cylinders

I've tried to install TurboLinux on an IBM 340 desktop three times in the
past 2 days, always with the same results.  Before I give up all together,
has anyone experienced this?

I put TL in the extended behind Win 98.  Everything goes fine until I tell
it where to put LILO.  It refuses to go on either the root partition or a
floppy, and puts me in a loop until I give up and abort the install.  When
I re-attemp the installation, fdisk tells me that I've now got 10600 or so
cylinders instead of my former 662 or so, and that LILO and other OS will
probably have problems.

It is right.  The only way, seemingly, that I can get my HD error-free and
back to normal is by blowing everything away and starting from square one
by creating the partitions anew.  Next time through, the same happens.  The
SurePath BIOS on the thing is not so sophisticated, so I haven't been able
to change the number of cylinders back in that way.

I'm using Partition Magic.  It cautions against using Linux's fdisk to make
partitions, so the last time I used PM4 to both partition and format root
and swap.  Same thing.

I've installed four different flavors of Linux, including off the same
TurboLinux CD, on several other computers, including the one I'm typing on
now, with no problems, so I'm baffled at the situation I'm facing.

BTW, the HD I'm using is a 5.1gb on a machine that originally came with a
1.2gb.  This presented no problems with the two languages of Windows that
were on it before Turbo destroyed everything.  If that's an issue in this
case I'm not sure.  Perhaps someone knows?

Any ideas?  Should I go directly to PHT?

TIA, Glenn Evanish

glenn@example.com

http://www.twics.com/~glenn
Next Nomikai: May 26 (Wed), 19:30                        Place: TBD
*** Special guest: Eric S. Raymond
Next Technical Meeting: June 12 (Sat), 12  :30   place: Temple Univ.