Re: tlug: new debian user beats head against wall, cries for help...film at

    >> Try cd'ing to the linux source tree, amd do "make dep; make
    >> clean; make bzImage (Or zImage)

    John> So, I tried that, and get the exact same error when I try to
    John> make bzImage, namely (since I'm sitting in front of said
    John> screen right now):

    John> /usr/src/linux/linux-2.0.36/include/asm/string.h:594: warning:
    John> control reaches end of non-void function
    John> init/main.c: In function 'get_options':
    John> init/main.c:272: warning: subscript has type 'char'

As Andrew said those are not fatal errors.

    John> Am now eyeing the linux mandrake CD (redhat 5.2 with KDE and
    John> XFree 3.3.3.1) on the corner of my desk and thinking that my
    John> decision to install Debian may have been an error on my
    John> part.

Definitely not an error.  My experience with RedHat and TurboLinux
shows them to be just as prone to this kind of screwup.  And it
occasionally breaks your install in a way that you need to be a pretty
serious hacker to get around.  You at least have a working Debian
system.

You might very well have better luck with a different distro though :-)

    John> Any other ideas?

Yeah.  `(make dep; make clean; make bzImage) 2>&1 | sendmail tlug@example.com'

Or if you want a copy,

(make dep; make clean; make bzImage) 2>&1 | tee make.log | sendmail tlug@example.com

Next Nomikai: May 26 (Wed), 19:30                        Place: TBD
*** Special guest: Eric S. Raymond
Next Technical Meeting: June 12 (Sat), 12  :30   place: Temple Univ.