Re: tlug: new debian user beats head against wall, cries for help...film at

Austin Kurahone kindly wrote:
>Ok.  I don't use Debian, but I think that I know what your problem
is.  The
>Linux kernel doen't link against (g)libc so changing your (g)libc
should not
>make a difference. (I use Glibc 2.1 + Linux 2.2.5).  Most likely the
rese of
>your system wasn't too happy with the switch to the new
>libraries."make-kpkg" is suspect.

Good point. I actually thought of that, although I chose the
modem-happy solution and downloaded the latest version of the
kernel-package program. Your suggestion makes a lot more sense in
retrospect.

>Try cd'ing to the linux source tree, amd
>do "make dep; make clean; make bzImage (Or zImage) (And optionally
;make
>modules; make modules_install)". Unless I mistyped something this
will build
>the Kernel without building funky packages.The kernel will be under
the
>"arch/i386/boot" directory of your linux source tree (Usually
>/usr/src/linux")

So, I tried that, and get the exact same error when I try to make
bzImage, namely (since I'm sitting in front of said screen right now):

/usr/src/linux/linux-2.0.36/include/asm/string.h:594: warning: control
reaches end of non-void function
init/main.c: In function 'get_options':
init/main.c:272: warning: subscript has type 'char'

which offers me no clues whatsoever, although maybe that would mean
something to someone else. I've compiled kernels this way before, it
was never a problem before, but it seems to be a problem today.
Bummer. Am now eyeing the linux mandrake CD (redhat 5.2 with KDE and
XFree 3.3.3.1) on the corner of my desk and thinking that my decision
to install Debian may have been an error on my part.

Any other ideas?

thanks much.
john

Next Nomikai: May 26 (Wed), 19:30                        Place: TBD
*** Special guest: Eric S. Raymond
Next Technical Meeting: June 12 (Sat), 12  :30   place: Temple Univ.