Re: tlug: One question from a newbie.

Hi.

Skup writes:

 > Well... Now, I install Debian 2.0 (XEmacs-mule included) Where can I found
 > any tutorial to use XEmacs-mule? (in english ^_^U)

Well, typing 'C-h t' (that capital C means 'Control') should give you
a general Emacs tutorial. 'C-h i' gets you into the Info mode index,
where you will probably find whatever Mule documentation is
installed. But if you're just planning to use Mule (as opposed to
developing Mule applications), I don't think you need to know much
beyond the basic mode-switching and character insertion commands. One
way to get at that info would be to type 'C-h a', and then when it
prompts you for a regexp to search, enter 'japanese' or 'kanji'
(without quotes).

And here's what I posted yesterday; it didn't get through since I was
unaware of the new 'tlug-post' thing. So maybe it's no longer
needed. But just in case:

 > I use Linux for some years, but now I've just learn Japanese,and I prove
 > search some Japanese word procesors but I only found XEmacs-mule and Jvim.
 > In the first case 70Mb ^_^U and it's to dificult for me O:),

I'd strongly recommend you give XEmacs a chance. Nobody picks up emacs
instantly, but it's such a tremendously useful application ... and if
you can survive the first couple of weeks, you'll be fine. You might
even start to find it fun!

But if you really want a word processor rather than a text editor,
here's what I know:

ApplixWare-J
============
The only full-fledged Japanese WYSIWYG word processor (office suite,
actually) currently available for Linux. But it's big, costs money
... and my personal experience with it hasn't been good. Every day I
find something new I don't like about it. If I hadn't spent 23,000 yen
on it, I'd throw it out right now and do all my Japanese work in
XEmacs. But apparently some people are satisfied with it.

dp-Note
=======
Lightweight, might do what you need. The interface is a bit primitive,
but it might be worth a try. You can probably find a demo version for
free somewhere.

On the horizon?
---------------
Ichitaro is supposed to be ported to Linux sometime soon, but I don't
know when. If you can afford to wait a while, this might be your best
bet. Check out http://www.justsystem.co.jp/ for news.
WordPerfect? There's WordPerfect 8 for Linux and WordPerfect-J 8. You
would think it wouldn't be too huge a stretch for Corel to make
WordPerfect-J 8 for Linux. But I have no idea if they're planning to
do it or not.
Lyx? (www.lyx.org) There is a Chinese version now, so maybe there will
be a Japanese version before very long. And Lyx is very, very cool.

Hope you find something that works for you!

Matt Gushee
Scarborough, Maine
USA