tlug: Bash Bug? (or kernel?)

>>>>> "Neil" == Neil Booth <NeilB@example.com> writes:

    Neil> I've been trying to compile Emacs-20.2

First mistake :-P  Seriously, why not 20.3 or wait for 20.4?

    Neil> This was failing on the change directory part.  Bash was
    Neil> complaining that "conftestdir" did not exist.  Novel.  A

Bash has gotten more and more aggressive about caching things that no
user would normally notice the speed increase, although scripts
probably do.  Of course, in interactive use you can workaround them....

It was a very bad sign when they released a version of bash that could
be configured to be a minimal Bourne/POSIX shell....

    Neil> first effort at inserting a sync (desperate, I know) didn't
    Neil> help.  Changing the line to

    Neil>   cd ./conftestdir

    Neil> did work.

Um, what's the result of `echo $CDPATH'?  Both in and out of the
script.  If a relative path fails and the absolute one works....

This is not the problem in Bash 2.01.1(1)-release.  As far as I can
tell, it adds `.' at one end of the CDPATH automagically.  However, I
personally would prefer that CDPATH, if set, strictly rule the cd path
for relative file names, and I wouldn't be surprised if they changed
it.

What are those two straight lines for?  "XEmacs rules."
*** featuring: LabView and UDB/DB2 for Linux
Next Nomikai: May 21 (Fri), 19:30    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691