Re: tlug: Bash Bug? (or kernel?)

Hi Stephen,

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:-

>     Neil> I've been trying to compile Emacs-20.2
>
> First mistake :-P  Seriously, why not 20.3 or wait for 20.4?

Well, it's the only copy I could find in a quick browse through my
CDs.  I intend to compile mule eventually, and/or Xemacs.  I'm going
through compiling *everything* from source and putting them in fresh
partitions, for experience, to learn what depends on what and how
various things are configured.  That will then become the installation
I'll use for everything, and I'll continue all my own installations
rather than relying on a distro.  The biggest pain has been removing
unwanted Redhat hacks from their SRPMS, and making their stuff FHS 2.0
compliant.

A the moment I'm just trying to get the basic stuff installed, and
succeeding quite well.  When I've got the networking stuff on, I'm
hoping that my 2.2.x networking problems will magically have vanished,
or else that I'll know more about it to find the config problem.  I'm
assuming the problem's not GOL, my ISP.

Incidentally, I bought an NEC ATAPI 4-CD CD player in Akihabara last
weekend to try and save me from endless CD-swapping.  I was pleasantly
surprised when installation as /dev/hdb and live swapping between CDs
was a breeze - it worked first time. Only 4,000 yen for the CD player.
I'm considering buying a second one :-)

> Um, what's the result of `echo $CDPATH'?  Both in and out of the
> script.  If a relative path fails and the absolute one works....

Both are null, which if I understand correctly means search current
directory.  I even put "CDPATH=" just a line earlier to test if that
was the problem, and it still failed.  Seems to be a problem under
load only.

Cheers,

Neil.
*** featuring: LabView and UDB/DB2 for Linux
Next Nomikai: May 21 (Fri), 19:30    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691