tlug: re: japanese input methods and X configuration revisited.

First off, thanks to everyone for the help and advice.

Stephen <turnbull@example.com >, your reply really helped clear
some things up for me. Er, I think:

>>>That's because they [wnn, canna, ATOK] all work the same.

Sokka. I went back and reread some of the archived posts on this
topic, and now I think I have sort of a better model with which to
visualize the process.

In other words (and grossly oversimplified, I know...), kinput2/XIM
takes my text, converts it to a yomi, queries Canna (or Wnn, or ATOK,
or whichever I choose to use), which then sends back a selection of
glyphs that match?

I hope that's reasonably close, because if it is, it explains a lot of
things, most of which relate to JWP, which uses wnn for it's lookup
database. But since JWP is a windows program and therefore may not be
particularly relevant to a linux mailing list, I'll refrain.

>How well?  The issue here is dictionary, not UI.
>The free ones are all good enough for starters.
>Wnn 6 is probably significantly better,
>and ATOK which should be available by now is
>considered best by some people I trust to have
>informed opinions.  I use Canna myself, as it
>is 100% free.

Hmm. I'll probably give Canna a try to start with, then see if I need
something more powerful. 30% ideology, 30% I'm cheap and I just bought
a new laptop, and 40% I sincerely doubt that I would ever feel like
I'm smarter than a dictionary server because it's no doubt better at
japanese than I am ;-)

Then, on Thu 1 Apr, Rob Bickel <rob@example.com>
mentioned something that I'm reasonably certain I *don't* have on CD
here. Sample config files with hints on how to get everything for
japanese working happily.

I'd like to take a look at that. If anyone has such samples and would
be willing to mail them to me or point me to a ftp site where I can
empower myself, I would be most appreciative.

thanks again,

john seebach
shizuoka, japan
jseebach@example.com

*** featuring: LabView and UDB/DB2 for Linux
Next Nomikai: May 21 (Fri), 19:30    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691