Re: tlug: re: japanese input methods and X configuration revisited.

On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, John Seebach wrote:

> Hmm. I'll probably give Canna a try to start with, then see if I need
> something more powerful. 30% ideology, 30% I'm cheap and I just bought
> a new laptop, and 40% I sincerely doubt that I would ever feel like
> I'm smarter than a dictionary server because it's no doubt better at
> japanese than I am ;-)

That may not be the case.  I often use the kana-kanji server to make
sure that I am saying a word correctly.  Like is it shuunin or shunin.
I can quickly type in both and see which one converts correctly.  Also
many times I find out I have been confusing one kanji with another and
that I have been using a completely wrong pronunciation.  Sometimes
Canna is so stupid that it doesn't know the conversion I want and that
just confuses me more.  That fact that your Japanese is not good does not
mean that you don't need a good kana-kanji server.

> Then, on Thu 1 Apr, Rob Bickel <rob@example.com>
> mentioned something that I'm reasonably certain I *don't* have on CD
> here. Sample config files with hints on how to get everything for
> japanese working happily.

Look for the "sample user" package in PJE.  It is probably called
something like sampusr.  If you get the slackware version you can
just unzip the tgz package.  If you look at the files in there it
will at least give you a good idea of some basic user config files.

Rob

*** featuring: LabView and UDB/DB2 for Linux
Next Nomikai: May 21 (Fri), 19:30    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691